GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

A riveting back 9 to finish the day, Bryson fell apart, Homa couldn't make a putt in spite of playing quite well tee to green. Scottie falling down the leaderboard with a couple of bad holes, then draining a 30 footer for eagle and finishing with a birdie on 18. Of course their was gippers Scrabble kid who was at -7 at the turn then proceeded to go on a 5 hole bogey run where he made just about every mistake you can make. Colin played really well shot 69 and is in second, 1 stroke back and coiuld have been better, again if he'd made some putts.

Tiger? 23 holes yesterday caught up with him I believe, as kp suggested.

Should be great weather and a great Sunday finish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Is there a more enticing trap at the Masters than 15? I can think of so many Masters where it was the deciding hole. Most recently it was there that Molinari hit a tree with his third shot landing in the pond and paving the way for Tigers win. Just as memorable was Seve's shot in the water in 1986 when Jack won becomming the oldest Masters winner. I can remember Lehman having a good shot at winning when Jose Maria's ball which should have backed up into the water didn't. It's where Chip Beck surrendered and didn't even try for an Eagle to pressure Langer. It's where Sarasan hit a 4 wood that won him the Tournamen (ina playoff) and got him memorialized in the bridge there.
    And so yesterday it reared up and took a chunk out of Bryson. It stole 3 shots from him. He grabbed one back at 18 but he'll need to play nearly flawlessly today and survive 15 to win.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Great day of golf, Scottie gets the win and doesn't even 4 putt the 18th! Colin just fell apart on the back 9, Bryson never could get going, Homa also made critical mistakes. Aberg had a great tourney, esp considering it was his 1st major. But Scheffler just made the plays when he needed them, made putts, drove the ball very well on the back 9 and his iron play was spot on.

Tiger had the worst tourney of his career but after the 2nd day he no longer was the story. When will we see him next?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Scottie is getting a bit thin on top for a 27 y/o, could Hair Club for Men be in his future?:D:D

5. Terry O'Keefe

Nice leaderboard at the RBC, I recognize all the names!! I've always liked to watch this one as I went to HHI a number of times and played Harbor Town 3 times so some of the holes are etched into my mind. The 3 that standout are par 3 #14 it's intimidating just to stand on the tee, #18 of course and #9 which is odd shaped and has bunker incorporated and if you are the wrong side you have to figure out how to get to the hole side.

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I always have a hard time with the toutnament. I'm usually on a post Masters downer. I've played it once. Recall 18 and a few other holes. There was a short but trecherous par 4 and a sand laden par 3. Nice area for golf lovers. I have a friend whose dad was a basketball player at ND when my dad was there. He owns a condo on the right of the 18th fairway.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Should be a good finish today, Scottie is in the lead and there are a bunch of guys with in a couple of strokes.

Ladies here in Houston were unable to finish their 3rd round, Brooke Henderson was on a big roll yesterday she was 8 under on her round when they called the round due to lightening in the area. Nelly Korda is 1 stroke off the lead. Should be a good finish as well, can Nelly win her 5th in a row?

8. Terry O'Keefe

Nelly got win #5 in a row today. She was very steady, made a few errors but not enough for to derail her on the march to the win. Pressure rachets up with her going for 6 in a row next weekend in L.A.

The RBC was suspended due to weather and didn't finish. Scottie has a solid lead and is playing well. But he and the rest of the field have to come back Monday to finish. So we'll see if he can come back and finish the field off.

9. Terry O'Keefe

OK no problem, he finished it off ...

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. -- Masters champion Scottie Scheffler winning the RBC Heritage on Monday morning was inevitable. It felt that way at the start of the week, too.

Scheffler had a 5-shot lead with three holes to play in the rain-delayed tournament. He made a meaningless bogey on the final hole for a 3-under 68 and a 3-shot victory over Sahith Theegala at Harbour Town.

He won for the fourth time in his last five starts and became the first player since Bernhard Langer in 1985 to win the week after capturing the Masters green jacket.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Men are in New Orleans for the 2 man team event. Scottie won't be there.

Ladies are in L. A. Nelly is taking the week off.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Tour is in Dallas, the Byron Nelson. Rain has softened the course and it's lift/clean/play so scores are low, Matt (?) Wallace is the leader at 8 under, with almost a hundred players in red numbers.

Not a designated event so the field is weaker, lots of players you don't know

12. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know what iron he hit but Raul Pereda's Hole in One today on a 236 yd par three was a thing of beauty. I'll bet it was a 6 or 7 iron.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I was wrong he hit a 4 iron! I guess I'm so used to these guys hitting irons a mile!

14. Terry O'Keefe

Course continues to be soft and the scores low. Looking like it will take - 24 to win.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Youth! They were interviewing Adam Scott about the young guns and he commented that young guys he was playing with all had ball speed over 190 and he tops out at 183.

16. Terry O'Keefe

16 y/o Brit Kris Kim made the cut in the Byron Nelson, the youngest ever to do so. He's at -8 going into the final round. Pretty impressive.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Well another 1st time winner in Taylor Pendrick from Canada, Ben Kohles cratered on 18 to give him the opening, including a bad chip from a difficult lie and then missing his putt for par. Kohles was the short driver by a lot, he was consistently 30-50 yards behind Pendrick. He had 265 with a 3 wood on 18 while Pendrick had 224 with a 4 iron into 18 green. Pendrick hits the green with a long eagle putt while Kohles missed right and the bad lie.

It was a good day and fun to follow these guys who I don't know much about, but I also am very tired of watching the same bibigo commerical and to me it was kind of gross!! :eek:

18. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Terry, were you able to avoid the floods that struck your area? Hope you had no issues!

19. Terry O'Keefe

Yes I got a lot of rain but my area drains really well and didn't even experience street flooding.

Thanks for asking.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Men are in Charlotte for the Wells Fargo, another course that has been softened up by rain. Xander is in control and Rory chasing him. There have been some interesting rulings so far, including one where a player got 2 club lengths in the hazzard. Also saw Matt Kuchar take off socks and shoes and get in the creek to try and hit a ball, he somehow got is to move a couple of feet to dry land but still had to stay in the creek to address his next shot. Maybe should've taken a drop/penalty.

Ladies are in NJ for a major, Nellie Korda is in 3rd, 4 shots back of Rose Zhang. I hope she get's the win and the record 6th straight win, going to take some outstanding play though to make up the 4 shots. But we do see it all the time, the leader has a bad day and the 4 shots evaporate.